Raise your glass if you think today was a pretty good day…Well I’m saying Cheers from here all the way to London and back again. I’d like to think that I make the most of every day, glass half full and all (and if it ever gets too low I fill it back up again!)… Positive mental attitude. Today was a great day!
Most of you know that today is the 50th anniversary of the Ford Mustang. If you don’t, that’s okay…you celebrate days that are special to you that we motor heads don’t quite understand.
After reading Hot Rod Magazine’s on-line article two things occurred to me. First, while I love my car to no end and I salute any Mustang driver who feels the same way, I have more Love for muscle cars in general. Mustangs are everywhere, but not every one who owns one truly appreciates them. I’d rather meet one fellow car lover than see a dozen Mustangs any day.
The second thing that came to mind was this…I might one day be the lady that a young kid talks about. (Oh, wait I already am when I out drive some teenager at a stoplight). But seriously… You know the familiar story… “Yeah, Dad, I found this Mustang for sale…low mileage, only one owner-an old lady, she kept it in the garage all the time.”
Yikes, I really don’t want to be that old lady…but the day will come that the ’03 GT will find a new owner and I’ll get an even better, more powerful Mustang that I’ll keep for awhile, then maybe when I sell that one I’ll be that “old lady”…ahhh probably not.
So Happy Birthday Mustang…and kudos to all of us who celebrate every day behind the wheel of a car…whether you drive an ’03 Escort, a VW GTI, a ’72 Cutlass, a 2001 Cavelier, a 1997 SAAB 900 SE, or a Mustang (most any year will do, thank you very much). Hats off to the mechanic who loves turning a wrench, and high fives to anyone still hoping for their dream car.
Of course you’re still wondering why today was such a great day for me…No, it wasn’t that Mustang celebrated a birthday. It’s best said in a top ten list:
10. I bought two new pairs of flip-flops.
9. It was the first day of my Easter vacation. Looking forward to five days of personal joy.
8. I used a new tire product on my tires. Meguires Endurance Tire Gel. Oh, my!
7. My car rolled over 84,000 miles without so much as a hiccup.
6. The high was 66 degrees. Perfect weather for windows down…not minding when the light turns red and loving when the light turns green.
5. I did some “front porch sitting and cold beer sipping”.
4. I caught up to a gold Dodge Dart Swinger.
3. I bought a VW Beetle Hot Wheel for Jon.
2. I once again realized how blessed I am….
1. My car turned over 84,000 at the entrance to I-55 Speedway in Pevely, MO. I used to go there when I was younger. Watched the drag races. The website seems to indicate that there’s still an active oval track, but the strip is closed now. I was able to get right up to the Pit Area. If it hadn’t been for that very large body of water, I would have snuck in and taken a few dollars off the treads. Odd feeling…being there, so quiet, knowing that there was quite a history …my dad even raced there way back when.
Driving a Mustang isn’t a dream come true.
Watching the blurred staccato of the white dashed lines escape through the side mirror, feeling ownership pride, and not noticing the speed limit is…
Dreams are great and cars are awesome!